It’s been 25 years since the Oscar-winning film Schindler’s List was released. To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the film, it’s been re-released in some selected theatres. And director Steven Spielberg says the timing could not be more crucial.
Lester Holt from NBC Nightly News interviewed the film director which will air Wednesday. On NBC’s website the 22 minutes long video released before the official broadcast.
Schindler’s List was originally released on Dec. 15, 1993. The legendary film was about Nazi Germany and the Holocaust.
During the interview, Spielberg said the following while comparing current times with the times when the film was released in 1993.
I think there is more at stake today than even back then.
The Hollywood Reporter pointed our some hate crime facts based on the FBI reports that shows the following.
Hate crimes increased by 17 percent last year compared to 2016. Notably, of the 1,679 religious bias crimes reported in 2017, 58.1 percent were anti-Jewish, while 18.6 percent were anti-Muslim.
Spielberg mentioned collective hate as a dangerous thing.
When collective hate organizes and gets industrialized, then genocide follows. We have to take it more seriously today than I think we have had to take it in a generation.
Schindler’s List was the movie that got Spielberg his first Oscar.
“I couldn’t imagine based on the story that we told that an audience would tolerate just the amount of violence, human against human. Or inhuman against human,” Spielberg, 71, said. “No one thought the film was going to make any money.”
The filmmaker has made many great movies. But this one will always be close to his heart.
“I don’t think I’ll ever do anything as important,” he said, adding, “So this, for me, is something that I will always be proudest of.”
What are your thoughts about the re-release of Schindler’s List? Do speak your mind in the comments below.